Known as the "town of 1,000 mineral springs", Covasna is famous for its mineral waters. Each spring has a different mixture of minerals, chiefly carbon dioxide, sulfur, and ammonia. Its name is derived from the Slavic word Cvaz, meaning sour, referring to the taste of its mineral waters.
It is a village situated south-west of Kovászna, in the valley of the Kőrös Creek, populated by inhabitants mainly of Reformed religion. Until 1904 the settlement was simply named Kőrös, but to honour its great sons`s memory, local inhabitants have changed its name into Csomakőrös.
In order to increase their modest income, local inhabitants used to be engaged in the activity of sieve-making until the beginning of the 20th century. At the beginning of the 1920s another occupation appeared in the life of the village: hat-making out of wood scraps. Some women are still engaged in this activity.
The village has become famous thanks to Kőrösi Csoma Sándor (1784--1842), researcher of Tibet. His memory is kept with great pride and honour by local people. On the 150th anniversary of his birth and death a memorial tablet was placed in the Reformed church of the village. His bust made by Orbán Áron was placed in the centre of the settlement in 1969. In 1990 the Kőrösi Csoma Sándor Common Art Association set up an exhibition in the house of culture in Kovászna; more precisely, there are two rooms in this house which are designed to present the great traveller’s life and work. On the lot where once used to stand Csoma`s house, local authorities have rebuilt the imaginary form of the former house. In the house there is a memorial chamber and a small Sekler room.
Besides human respect and homage paid to this great son of the settlement, nature has created its own monument: in the courtyard of the former Csoma property there are two enormous nut-trees, which are thought to have seen Sándor, the child, playing in their shadows.