Turda Salt Mine is one of the main tourist attractions of Transylvania, representing a true mining museum in salt from Transylvania, a modern leisure facility and, at the same time, a treatment facility. The age of salifere deposits in Transylvania is of around 13 million years, the salt field Turda is part of the same alignment as the fields of Ocna Dej, Sic, Cojocna, Valea Florilor and Ocna Mures.
It is assumed that the first stages of the salt exploitation began in Roman times, but the first testimony on its activities related to the extraction dates from the 11th century when a document issued by the chancellory of the Hungarian kingdom recalls the creation of a salt customs in Turda. Starting with 1918, the role of Turda Salt Mine decreases because of the extraction technology and the development of mines in Ocna Dej and Ocna Mures. From 1932 this was closed, having been used during the Second World War as anti-aircraft shelter.
In the period 1950-1992 it was used as a storehouse of cheese, and after 1992 was open to the tourist circuit.
Turda salt mine has entered into an extensive renovation process as a result of carrying out a project worth 5.8 million euros that had as purpose the achievement of a modern recreation and treatment facility. Thus, in the mine were developed: a panoramic elevator, a minigolf course, two tracks of minibowling, a sports ground and a 180-seat amphitheater, which hosts various concerts. Also on site there is a carousel that offers a panoramic view over the mine Rudolf. In the mine Terezia was arranged an underground lake that offers possibilities for a boat ride at 112 m in the depths of the mountain of salt. Ghizela mine was developed to serve exclusively the activity of spa treatment.
Near the main entrance there is a swimming pool the result of the arrangement of the Lakes of Durgau. They have a high content of sodium chloride as they formed in place of some old salt mines.